If you are a nature lover or garden lover, then you must be aware of Pine Tree. This is the type of tree which is always the 1st choice of the garden lovers, as the growth is fast. If you have a pine tree in your garden, it will add to the beauty and make your garden look more attractive.
Generally, people wish to have a pine tree in their garden, but before landing the tree, there are many questions which ponder in their mind, which includes how much time the tree needs to grow, how fast it can grow, and many more.
So, here you can get answers to all your questions, after which you can go and grow the tree in your garden, and make it look much more attractive, with more than 1000 species of the tree.
About Pine Tree
The evergreen pine trees belong to the category of the Pinus which belongs to the family of Pinaceae. These trees are found in the Northern Hemisphere. The trees generally flourish in the temperate and subtropical climates. The trees are the one that has a well-developed taproot system.
The origin of the tree has been recorded 130 – 200 million years back in the early Jurassic Period of the Mesozoic Era. The evergreen trees live up to a time ranging from hundred years to thousand years.
Pine trees are generally grown in the Northern Hemisphere, except Sumatran Pine, which is grown in the Southern Hemisphere. The trees are an essential part during the time of Celebration of Christmas all around the world.
How Long Does It Take A Pine Tree To Grow?
The pine tree growth rates vary depending on the type or species of the tree. But on average, the Pine tree growth rate is 1 ft to 2 ft every year. If we think of how fast the tree grows in a year, this can be categorized into three:
- first, is the fast-growing pine trees and it grows more than 3 ft every year.
- second, is the medium-growing pine tree and it grows around 1 ft to 2 ft every year.
- the third is the slow-growing pine trees, and it grows a maximum of 1 ft every year.
How Much Time Does It Take To Reach Maturity?
When it comes to growth and attains maturity, the pine tree maturity depends on the species to which it belongs. The different stages of the pine tree are as follows.
- The first stage is seedling, and it takes approximately one year for the young seedlings to mature.
- Then the period from 6 months to 5 years, is the juvenile period of the plant. This phase is also known as spiral management.
- Finally, it attains maturity, and the adult leaves or needles grow on these small scale leaves.
In general, the pine tree requires a period of 25 years to 30 years to attain full maturity, but many times people leave them for around 50 years, to grow fully. The reason behind this is, old trees are more valued for wood than the young ones.
Fastest Growing Pine Trees
Suppose you wish to know more about the pine trees and want to know about the fast-growing pine tree species. So, below we have listed a few of the fastest-growing pine tree species.
- Aleppo Pine also is known as Pinus halepensis and Jerusalem pine.
- White Pine also is known as Pinus strobes.
- Afghan Pine is also known as Pinus eldarica and Mondell pine.
- Loblolly Pine is also known as Pinus taeda.
- Scotch Pine is also known as Pinus sylvestris and Scots pine.
About The Average Pine Tree Height
The average height of the pine tree ranges according to the species. The height of the pine tree ranges from 3 to 80 meters (10 to 260 feet). The height of the majority of the species ranges from 15 to 45 meters (50 to 150 feet) tall.
The Word tallest pine tree reported In Oregon Forest. And It’s Height is 81.79 meters (268.35 feet) tall.
Type of soil required for the growth
When it comes to the growth of any plant, the most important thing is the type of soil. Each tree needs a particular type of soil so that it flourishes, and it adds riches to the living environment.
The soil of Pine Tree requirement depends on the species. These are the most common ones in the American landscape. Other than this, the pine trees are adaptable to grow in a wide variety of soils. But they do have a particular comfort zone, where they can quickly grow, as a white pine tree grows the best in coarse, sandy, well-drained soils, Scotch Pine grows best in acidic, well-drained, sandy or gravelly soil and many so on.
The Life of Pine Trees
In general, the life span of the pine tree is very long. The life of the pine trees varies according to the type and environment. But on average, the pine tree lives life ranging from 100 years to 1,000 years.
There are trees which have lived for more than 3,000 years. Though pine trees all over have around the same life span, except few who have more life.
Uses of Pine Tree
- The Pine tree wood is handy, and it is used in the manufacturing of panelling, window frames, floors, roofing, furniture.
- Some of the pine nuts are used for cooking and baking.
- The cones of pine trees can be used for craft purposes.
- They are grown as the Christmas Trees.
- They can also be used to get turpentine, which is used in the manufacturing of the varnish and as a solvent.
- These are planted in the gardens to make it look attractive and are known as ornamental plants.
I hope this will help you in growing the Pine tree according to the conditions around you.